I am so excited to be partnering with Jennie-O to bring you this post for a healthy new year. Jennie-O creates quality, affordable products and I hope you will join me in supporting the brands that help Blonde Girl Cravings operate!
How’s the New Year’s diet treating you? It sure is hard to get back on the healthy eating bandwagon after a holiday season full of fattening foods and sugar, isn’t it?
Jennie-O turkey graciously provided me with two packages of their Lean Ground Turkey Breast meat and asked me to create a recipe for a healthy new year. Because I know most of us love a big plate of cheesy Mexican food, something along those lines seemed fitting.
Tender turkey meatballs, smothered in homemade enchilada sauce, covered in cheese and served over zoodles? What’s not to love! I make my own enchilada sauce and encourage you to do the same because nothing else compares, but you can certainly use canned if you prefer.
If zoodles aren’t your style, or you don’t own a spiralizer (I use this) these would also be delicious served over quinoa or brown rice. They reheat well, so I enjoyed them for lunch the next day as well!
- 1 pound Jennie-O Ground Turkey Breast
- 1/4 cup grated yellow onion
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dry oregano
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Sliced green onions and cilantro for toppings (optional)
- 2 large zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (separated)
- 2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 4 Tbsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. oregano
- 2 cups chicken broth or stock